Both nuclear and radiological incidents and attacks can occur in the form of a blast. A nuclear blast is characterized by intense light and heat, a damaging pressure wave, and widespread radioactive material. A radiological attack, also known as a “dirty nuke” or dirty bomb”, is designed to disburse a dangerous and sub-lethal amount of radioactive material over a general area. Of the two devices, terrorists are more likely to use a dirty bomb as materials used to construct such a device are more readily available. The following website will provide more information on each type of attack and how to protect yourself if an attack were to occur.
- Radiological Emergency Information for Farmers, Food Processors and Distributors in Texas
- Agricultural Information for Radiological Events at Nuclear Power Plants
- Nuclear Blast
- Radiation Emergencies
- Protecting Yourself from Radiation
- Radiation Threat Information Sheet
- Radiological Emergency Information for Farmers, Food Processors & Distributors